MEET HYPERION, THE WORLD TALLEST TREE
Up until August 2006, the tallest known tree in the world was a 369-foot California redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) nicknamed ‘Stratosphere Giant’, located somewhere in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park in California. To give you some idea about its massive size, that’s twice the height of the Statue of Liberty, minus the foundation.
But the Giant lost its status when two naturalists, Chris Atkins and Michael Taylor, stumbled upon group of trees in California’s Redwood National Park that were taller than any they’d ever seen before. They made preliminary measurements using professional laser equipment based on goniometry, and found not one, not two, but three trees that were taller than the Stratosphere Giant.
The tallest of the lot, named Hyperion, was found to be a good 10ft taller than the Giant, standing at a whopping a 379 ft. When Atkins and Taylor announced their discovery, a team of scientists led by Humboldt State University ecologist Steve Sillett arrived at the park to measure it again in September 2006. They were aiming for more accuracy, so they actually used a tape this time. They actually climbed to its very top and dropped the tape to the ground. The epic stunt was filmed for National Geographic.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS ARTICLE;
Meet ‘Hyperion’, the world tallest tree.
1. You are unique in your own way. Either you are tall or short. There is something significant about you.
2. You have the duty to discover yourself and the responsibility to jealously guard what you have.
3. Never be intimidated by what others think about you.
4. Life will present challenges to you, if you become fearful, run away, it will become a problem.
5. The world is waiting to hear you, to know you, we are waiting to receive that which you have for us, the question is, are you willing to serve humanity?
6. Finally, deliberately shine, let men see your goodness, ‘Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven’ Matthew 5:14-16
AmenRadio…Keep on Believing
By; Adedeji Oshigbesan.